If you're running Mac OS X ...
  Open System Preferences.
  Click on the Sharing icon.
  Click on the Firewall tab.
  Click the Start button.

This turns on the personal firewall at the client computer.

A firewall at the network is also useful to block access to network- reachable computers and peripherals connected to your network, but for networks with no other devices other than a computer and a printer attached they don't do much of any consequence. If you have several computers on the network and/or have them configured to share files or allow remote operations, then a network firewall is essential to security.

Most important if running a wireless network is to turn on encryption in the wireless base station. If you don't, you are broadcasting any information you transmit across the network connection as clear text that can be captured by anyone with a receiver and an application that can capture network packets.

Godfrey