On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 12:30:18PM -0700, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> If you insert a card into a reader and transfer the files to a Windows
> PC, you must then go through Windows' procedure to remove the card. But
> this shuts down that "drive," so you can't insert another card and
> continue transferring files. Windows won't "see" it. You have to restart
> the computer.

That's not strictly true.

What is true, unfortunately, is that the procedure necessary to make
the card safe to remove varies depending on the particular type of card
reader.  Sometimes you have to use the "Remove Hardware" dialog, while
for other devices you have to use "Eject".  Using the wrong method can
indeed make the entire drive invisible until the next reboot.

You're most likely to run into problems when using one of those multi-
function card readers.  But I regularly insert and remove CF cards on
my notebook (using a PCMCIA card reader) without any such difficulties,
so it obviously isn't an inherent Windows problem.