This may be a silly question, but have you tried to ignore the "safely..." messages all together?

Eg. with an USB-drive, just rip it out, and replace it with another...

Jostein

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Tainter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: Semi-OT: Transferring Image Files to Windows PC

Thanks, Jostein and John. I am using Windows XP.

I use the little green arrow in the Taskbar, labeled "Safely Remove Hardware." I have found that if I doesn't use that, Windows scolds me. I have the issue with card readers, thumbdrives, and the external 250 GB drive I can use on either Firewire or USB.

If I remove a CF card (or any of these) through the "Safely Remove Hardware" method, I cannot then insert a new card (or re-insert the thumbdrive or turn the external hard drive back on) without rebooting. Windows just won't recognize it.

This is mainly an issue when I have several CF cards worth of images to transfer.

Appreciate any advice. I do believe there is a solution to this.

Joe