Ann, I may have spoken too soon.  After sending the last message I
realized I hadn't actually used either the D or DS on the Win98 machine
since I installed a high speed card reader on my W2K box about 6 months
ago.  So I tried them both and neither works.  Seems that the Pentax
Drivers have to be re-installed and the system can't find them.  They
don't seem to be on either software disk that were supplied with the
cameras and they're certainly not on the Win98 disk.  I have no idea
currently where to get them, why they worked and why they stopped, but
I'll let you know.