I've got Pentax Photo Lab and Photo Browser 1.00 running on my Win98se
box.  They're less useful since they choke on *ist-DS files.  When I
first got my D the Win98se box was my photo editing system, mainly
because I didn't have drivers for the film scanner that worked with W2k
or ME, (although on a 2gigahertz machine Win98se just flys, which was
another reason to not "upgrade").  I simply plugged in the *ist-D, it
was recognized and installed drivers from somewhere, (probably the
Internet though I don't remember it was over a year ago). Using that
setup I did very slow transfers.  This sufficed for quite some time
until I got an HP printer with built in card reader, (usb 2.0 compatible
my eye is all I have to say about that).  When I initially got the Ds,
about 6 months ago, I tried it on the 98 box and it worked, probably
using the D drivers, but I needed Photo Lab 2.1 which we know doesn't
install on 98se, so most of the Imaging stuff got moved to the Win2K
box, in which I installed a high speed card reader.  Now for some reason
the Pentax required USB drivers have disappeared.  I find that to be
truly annoying but similar things have happened before.

--
When you're worried or in doubt,
        Run in circles, (scream and shout).