On Jun 27, 2006, at 4:38 AM, Aaron Reynolds wrote:

>> Except.... the odds are high that my LX will still be (at least
>> capable of) taking photos when the DL2 is consigned to the landfill.
>
> Why is that?  What parts are surviving on your LX that are failing in
> your DL2?

My thought too. The achilles heel of the LX is that Pentax never gave
out service information on them (according to the best repair shop in
town here...) and it is a complex camera for which the parts have
already become scarce. There's little in the DL2 that is as subject
to wearing out, mechanically, as the film transport mechanism in a
film SLR. Ageing of the electronics ... well, I have had several
cameras with LCD/LED displays dating back to the 1970s that are still
going strong. The imaging sensor might become less sensitive in a
couple of decades of use. The reflex mirror and shutter are smaller
and lighter than these parts in a 35mm SLR so they should actually
last longer. etc.

The biggest killer of electronic devices is corrosion ... if you keep
your digital camera in a cool, dry place when storing it, it could
well outlast a film camera.

Godfrey