This is an interesting thread for me, and an interesting reply from
Tom. I have been mulling whether to ask something about colour
correction, but I can't readily formulate a question at the moment.

As you know, I am going to buy a new printer soon, and intend to use a
fully colour-managed workflow. Now, like many men I am red/green
colourblind - to the extent that I get all the flash cards wrong in
colour-blindness tests, so I don't trust the evidence of my own eyes
when colour is involved. Therefore for a colour-managed workflow I
will need to work by numbers. I have dug out and re-read "Color
correction by numbers" by Dan Margulis.

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/PP7_Ch02_ByTheNumbers.pdf

It's a very interesting process - you don't even need a calibrated
monitor, or a colour monitor even. Just by picking the brightest white
where you want to hold detail, and the darkest black ditto, then
setting them to some combination of CMYK (in the article, but later he
shows it with RGB apparently - I don't have the book yet) you should
be able to make everything else fall into its rightful place,
colourifically. This relies on some assumptions, of course, but you
should be able to select an area that ought to be white, or black,
look at the relationships between the numbers as against the 'correct'
numbers for the white you want, and determine from that what type of
cast there is over the whole picture.

No doubt there are drawbacks to this technique, but it seems like a
reasonably good way of getting an objective answer to your question,
and a more balanced approach than applying a quick fix filter.

--
Cheers,
 Bob