Hi Bob,

I find that it's often the results that count, not the process.  Somebody
very technically adept with Photoshop for instance may do a 3-step process
to make a correction and might indeed have a good reason for doing so.  If I
use a quicker route to achieve the desired effect or correction, not knowing
there might be a technically better way... well who knows when looking at
the end photo how a particlar rendering was arrived at?  With no reference
for comparison, one generally accepts that the image displayed is as
desired.

By way of example, Shel suggested his image had a bluish cast.  I saw it,
but I might not have recognized it at all, except for power of suggestion.
Others did not see a color cast at all.

IMO, the filter is there for a reason, it produces a desired effect with
possibly a great saving of time.  In my mind, it's identical to putting a
filter over the lens instead of changing the lighting itself.

I agree that the more knowledge of the process and therefore control one has
the better.  I don't know what the filter is doing behind the scenes, maybe
a process similar to what would be done manually without using the filter.
If one simply wants the entire photograph to be rendered slightly
differently, there's often a quick route that's not necessarialy destructive
and produces the desired result.

How would a color negative exhibiting a bluish cast be corrected when
printing??? Rhetorical question.

Tom C.