----- Original Message -----
From: "Jens Bladt"
Subject: RE: OT: Why do you take pictures?

> The lesson I learned was, that lots of people don't look at the
> photographs
> as such. They look at the people IN the photographs. Photographs as such
> are
> not at all interesting - to most people. A good photograph is a photograph
> that shows a relative or a friend the way the he or she wants to remember
> this person. Noting else really matters.

For most people, photographs are memory joggers. They don't really want to
see the person or the place depicted, they want to remember the fun that was
had at that place, with that person. The photograph is the tool used to
remind them.
This is why slide shows of other people's vacations are so very hard to sit
through, and why people rarely show much interest in snapshots of people
they
don't know, or places they haven't been.

William Robb