The government here is trying to encourage people to have kids. Due to
an aging population, there is a concern that in 20 years when all the
baby boomers are on pensions the tax base won't be large enough to
foot the bill.

I do like the idea of getting a tax break for having no kids :-) As a
single person it bugs the shit out of me after every budget that
families get all this nice tax relief & I get F.A. :-)

Dave