580 miles in the Prius means 52 mpg (11 gallon tank). Mileage
improves in inner city use as the electric motor gets more of the
load, and in traffic there are virtually zero emissions ... the gas
motor only fires up to charge the battery if it gets low, it's off
when stopped in traffic.

Good diesels are very efficient too, although they're harder to clean
up emissions-wise. It's a shame that they do so poorly in the US
market ... there are a ton of superb diesel powered cars in the UK
and Europe. I've rented them when traveling and found the performance
and economy superb.