Cotty wrote:
> On 23/7/06, P. J. Alling, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> Actually Brazil seems to be doing well on ethanol, but I don't know what
>> they're using as a feed stock, probably cutting down the rain forest.
>
> Correct.
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3024636.stm>

Not correct,Brazil's ethanol comes from sugar cane plantations.They've
had that programme running for decades, since the end of the
70's/beginning of the 80's (I was living in Brazil then).The programme
slowed down in the late 80's when oil was cheaper and Brazil increased
its oil output, but it has been revived in the last few years.
The ongoing deforestation in the Amazon basin doesn't have anything to
do with ethanol production.
Carlos