1)  The "F" and "M" are to match the shutter timing to the peak output
of flashbulbs.  "F" bulbs peak 5 milliseconds after ignition, while "M"
bulbs peak at 20 milliseconds.  Each is of a relatively short duration,
but not as short as electronic flash.  "FP" (focal plane)bulbs are a
horse of another color as they peak after about 5ms, but have a long
duration so a focal plane shutter can be used at higher speeds.

3)  This looks like it takes a standard 9V battery.  I don't know of any
other batteries that match the terminal configuration of the 9V.

  -P