Mark Stringer wrote:

>A new super-sensor would be great but it does not seem to fulfill the seer's
>vision of  "Mid-September ...forehead-slapping amongst the competition in
>the DSLR world." nor does it fit with "...not a single DSLR out there
>at any price, including ones using the same sensor, have it."  This implies
>it is an in-production sensor and the "improvement" could have already been
>done by someone.

One of the theoretical advantages of CCD, versus CMOS, sensors is that
the output of a CCD is analog, so it's possible to use
different/improved A-D converters. In most cases, camera makers
economize by using the A-D converter designed my the CCD manufacturer.
But not always: Nikon designed their own A-D converter for the D200
(Nikon's D80 and Sony's A100 use the Sony D-A converter made for the
chip by Sony).

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com