Hello everyone,

Just browsing the archives today, I see there's been a couple of
reports on the K100D already, so there's little new I can add. I'd
like to add my voice to the choir praising the anti-shake, though.

For the last week, I've had a pre-production K100D on loan from Pentax
Norway, and played around with it for a while. It had firmware version
0.2 when I got it, but with permission I upgraded it to the latest
1.01.

Did I mention the anti-shake? It really works. I was able to get
reasonably sharp pictures at 1/90s with 800mm focal length (FA*400/5.6
+ 2X-L).

The menus are evolved from the *ist series, and are easy for long-time
pentaxians to navigate.

Unfortunately, there was a terrible lot of noise in the red channel
with the camera I have had. I expect this has been rectified in the
production cameras, because any ISO above 200 was unusable.

I also downloaded the version 3 of the Pentax Photo Lab, and though I
didn't like the interface much, the functionality has certainly come a
long way since version 1. Great that they still provide free updates
to the raw conversion tool for old digi-slr buyers too.

Another thing I noticed from the archives today is that Aaron has got
some news about the K10D that makes him want to sell his 6x7. While
I'm not sure whether he an I have seen the same news, the K10D
certainly will have a number of very pleasing features. Some of which
will hopefully make it stand out from the competition equipped with
the same CCD.

My apologies for not being able to substantiate the hype, but I've
promised not to reveal what I have seen and learned. However, I do
know that there will be a press release in the first week of September
that will address many of the interesting points regarding the K10D.
It will also, IIRC, reveal more news about the MedF-D.

Just now, I wish I had a ticket to Köln...

Best,
Jostein