Mark Roberts wrote:
> DagT wrote:
>

>> In my view the reduced noise is equivalent to increase dynamic range.
>>

> Not necessarily equivalent, but reduced noise certainly could be the
> *result* of increased dynamic range: Increased bit depth could
> conceivably facilitate the use of more advanced noise reduction
> algorithms that do more noise reduction with less damage to fine
> detail in the image.

No, I think he refers to an actual reduction of noise at the
signal-level, not a removal of "noise" from the digital data, and sees
this the other way around (more or less.) Less noise means that you can
actually use a larger subset of the range of charges in the sensor, so
as to speak.

See
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/digitalimaging/concepts/dynamicrange.html

- Toralf