I always think about sensors pixels as small buckets catching light particles.
After one measurement cycle, the number of particles in each bucket are counted
and that's the raw pixel value. A bucket has a ceratin contents. If it's full
and particles keep falling in, they will spill over and not be measured (these
are highlights being blown out). Also, there's some ennoying drizzle of light
particles that's continuously there (this is the noise). At low light level,
only few particles fall in the bucket, and the drizzle particles will mask the
actual light signal you're measuring.

Now how to reduce the impact of the drizzle particles on the final raw pixel
values? There is only one way: increase the exposure. But then the highlights
will be blown out! So now we have to rescue the highlights.

I wonder if it is feasible to look into the buckets during exposure and if a
bucket fills, very quickly empty it and keep track of this. Then after a
complete exposure, just add 4096 (if it's a 12 bit sensor) to the raw pixel
value of the emptied buckets and you've increased the sensor's dynamic range by
one stop, while the noise level stays the same. You could even imagine
repeating this procedure multiple times.

Another approach may be to measure how quickly a particular bucket fills and
extrapolate this measurement to get the number of particles that would have hit
the bucket if it would have been large enough (and assuming that light
intensity on each pixel stays the same during the exposure---may cause strange
effects on moving subjects).

But still, this most probably involves new sensor technology, and we're not
looking for that, are we?

Groeten,

Vic