Yes, that indeed is the best thing about digital for serious
photographers. Of course there were good labs around if you did enough
volume to be able to use them, they tended to have hefty surcharges on
small orders. Snapshot mini-labs were not the place to get quality work
done. I have not checked but I suspect that many of those high volume
quality people labs are still doing business as most pro photographers
still make their money by shooting, not by sitting in front of a
computer (a guick web check shows that the lab I used for volume work
when I was in business 25 years ago, North American Photo in Paul's neck
of the woods, is still in business). The low volume custom labs have
probably been pretty much done in by digital.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com