The R series of printers seem to have pretty much eliminated that
problem. The carts are expensive but they seem to do 30-40 8x10's which
is a lot more than the 820 carts did. R220 is, I think, the current model.

Head design:
Epson, separate non-removable head.
Canon, separate removable head
HP, new head with each cart.

Now heads for the Epson, or Canon cost more than the cheaper printers
are worth. However with the Canons you can remove it and soak it in
alcohol which I have done in the the past to clear serious clogs.

Note: unlike many here I have had too many problems with various Epsons.
The current R200 seems to be great, but I would not have bought it if it
hadn't been only $49. I have also had several Canons which were more
reliable than the Epsons, other than first (MX-80) and last (the R200).
The Canon LBP-420 I have has been working fine for 12 years.  Except for
a used HP Thinkjet, one of their early inkjet printers, I have never
owned an HP.

If I had the money I would still like to have an HP DesignJet 130, or
whatever the current version is, though. As far as I know it is the
cheapest 24 inch 6 ink printer with reasonably priced, individually
replacable, heads out there.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com