John Francis wrote:

>>>Except the thumbwheels are better than the aperture control on the
>>>lens. With two thumbwheels, like those on the *istD, one can adjust
>>>either shutter or aperture while keeping both hands firmly on the
>>>camera and a finger on the shutter. I shot for 30 years with aperture
>>>rings. I've had no problem getting over them. I think you'll find
>>>that you will adjust quickly and without effort to the new layout.
>>>Paul
>>>

>>Funny, one of the reasons I don't like dual-wheel controls is that you
>>have to take your finger off teh shutter. I can hold the camera quite
>>firmly in my left hand while still turinging the aperture ring.
>

> That's fine until you try it with a long telephoto lens, especially if
> you're also trying to deal with the focus adjustment.  There's no way
> you can adequately support a telephoto while keeping your hand on the
> aperture ring.  And even if you're using a support of some kind you
> still want your hand near the front of the lens to damp vibrations.
>
> And you don't have to take your finger off the shutter, either.  With
> my twin-wheel cameras (PZ-1p, *ist-D) I keep my index finger on the
> shutter release, and adjust the shutter speed with my second finger
> and the aperture with my thumb.

I don't shoot long tele's mostly, and when I do, I'm not constantly
changing exposure. But I don't find that I can get a positive grip on
the camera with just my ring and pinky fingers. I've tried that method
and it simply doesn't work for me. It actually was more doable with the
Canon/Minolta style positioning of the front wheel, but I still find it
very awkward.

-Adam