John,

A nice article today quoted him as saying it was spontaneous, "...just
swung the camera over in time to catch the shot." And citing the
confusion about it as being spontaneous or staged as partly his fault.
 He didn't see the film he took until some two weeks later and thought
people were refering to a later photo of grinning Marines.  The
obituary pointed out that the movie camera man he was standing next to
had the exact same shot on motion picture film.  (He was killed a few
days later.)

...Second US flag raised on Mt. Surabatchi that day (at least).  The
US commander thought the first flag was not big enough to be seen by
those fighting below.  This was one of the latest and most deadly
encounters in the Pacific campaign.  We lost 6,000+ Marines and the
Japanese Defense Force lost 20,000+.  Dark times.

Regards,  Bob S.