I'd call that marketing discovering the engineering department was right
after all.  Pentax made a recovery from a stupid move.  It was trying to
build market share and forgot that it's best  marketing is done word of
mouth by current users.  Once Pentax had a product that a lot of people
might want, it couldn't allow it to be torpedoed by a lot of disgruntled
current users.  It was at best a sop.  How many current users would use
a particular old favorite lens if it was more convenient?  I'd bet
lots.  It's not like Pentax would lose a lot of lens sales if say
everyone with a K or M 85mm using it as a 135 equivalent didn't buy a
replacement.  Especially since they don't actually field one.

John Forbes wrote:

>Joe,
>
>You are ridiculous.  The attitude Pentax has displayed over lenses is that
>it has kept better compatibility than any other manufacturer, and shows no
>sign of changing that now.  When they discovered that some people wanted
>to use thirty year-old lenses on the *ist D, they issued a fix so that
>they could do so.
>
>That's what I call loyalty to customers.
>
>John
>
>On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:51:28 +0100, jtainter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>For those of you who bought only the DS (or later) model, and feel that
>>you need to criticise those who bought the D and would like to keep
>>using our CF cards, consider this:
>>
>>If Pentax's new attitude is "back of the hand" to their customers'
>>investments, what is to keep them from abandoning the AF drive shaft
>>sometime shortly after the KAF3 mount comes out?
>>
>>Yep, SD cards are inexpensive, but a lot of our lenses aren't.
>>
>>It's not the money. It's the attitude Pentax has displayed.
>>
>>Joe

Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as modern America's
favorite pet. People like pets to possess the same qualities they do. Cats are
irresponsible and recognize no authority, yet are completely dependent on
others for their material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful.
Cats are mean for the fun of it

P. J. O'Rourke