Hi Bob ...

> For me ... the price of a roll of Scala
> with prepaid processing, is slightly less
> than the cost of a roll of Tri-X plus
> processing and contact sheet.

I don't think the cost here is so reasonable, although it's been a
while since I priced Scala or a contact sheet.  The big problem here
with Scala is that there are only three labs in the country that
process the stuff, NYC, Miami Florida, and a place in Southern
California. Turn-around times can be long unless one lives close to
one of the labs.  The price of Scala, sans processing, runs from about
$8.00 - $13.00 per roll, although buying through B&H is a somewhat
better deal, with single rolls selling for $7.50 and a "pro pack"
running almost $40.00 for five rolls.  Add processing, at between
$8.00 - $10.00 per roll, and things get a bit spendy as well as time
consuming.

As you know, I love the film, but it's just too much of a hassle to
use, unless it's for a very specific purpose.  I'd certainly not
suggest using it as an "every day" film, at least not here the
States.  And, although I'm not sure I'd call it a print film, which is
what Amita asked about, your suggestions are certainly worthwhile.  I
much prefer Scala over the chromogenics, even if it is more expensive
and difficult to use.  The results are superb.

For those interested in Scala processing costs and details, go here:

http://www.mainphoto.com/agfa%20scala/agfa%20scala%20processing.htm

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]