That is true, however the fact that something was designed in for future
expansion doesn't imply when the future will be, or that it will ever
happen.  If you have a *ist-DS and a D you can compare the two and see
that the D actually has a mirror box the same size as the MZ/ZX series
cameras, while the Ds mirror box is narrower, obviously made for the new
APS format sensor.  Did the D mirror box infer that Pentax would soon
have a FF sensor.  Of course not.  We don't know why the holes are only
a promise and rumor of some kind of in lens motor.  There was also a
rumor that the *ist-D would have full support for K mount lenses, and a
description in the users manual that implied that the camera had an
aperture simulator.

Remember Pentax manufactured the MZ/ZX cameras for at least 10 years, I
expect that they are planning to produce the same basic camera body as
the K series with improved electronics, and maybe improved mechanical
systems for the same length of time, though I also expect the outer
shell to have sometimes large cosmetic differences. It's pretty obvious
that the K110D while it has a redesigned frame and new body shell,
shares a lot with the earlier *ist-D[x] cameras.  The important specs.
outside of the Anti Shake system for the K100D, looks a lot like the
*ist-DL, with the D/DS/DS2 focusing system..  My assessment is that
these cameras have hardly been designed from scratch.  They look more
like an evolution.  The K10D may include a whole lot of new technology,
but it'll be based on what's gone before, at least as much as Pentax can
manage to do so.

In a way this puts me in the mind of a story from one of my former jobs.
I worked for a company that manufactured modems, one of our modem series
had something that no other manufacture had, an OK switch.  I forget
exactly what it did, reset the internal registers after a restart IIRC.
Why was it called the OK switch and not Reset, no one knew, in fact no
one knew why we had the switch at all, there were a number of stories,
some quite amusing, but it was an unused feature, non of our techs ever
used it.  They simply cut power and waited a few seconds to make sure
the things started up clean.  Yet an entire series of modems had that
switch.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

                        --Albert Einstein