Hi,

I was thinking about the 22 bit A/D converter and about the ISO
setting last night.

Then it struck me, right into the back of my head... :-)

It is simply ingenious (if this is what Pentax has done):

1) By utilizing a 22 bit A/D you get a wide dynamic range

2) When you have a wide dynamic range on the A/D converter, you don't
have to
use a high gain amplifier stage (to get high ISO sensitivity) but you
can use
a constant (lower) gain low noise (optimized) amplifier.

3) This way you can "choose" the ISO setting after exposure, before
storing
the image into the raw (or converting to jpg). You can analyze the data
and
then decide "how to actually expose". I think this is what Pentax may be
doing
with the "automatic ISO setting". It's like having all the different ISO

negative films in your camera the same time.

(Of course you can have a variable gain amp if you wish to get
"standard"
DSLR behaviour...)

5) With a relatively low gain amplifier and 22 bit A/D (and both having
low
noise) you will get a really wide exposure latitude. The K10D differs
from the competition in this respect. It is like how negative film
differs from
slide film.

In theory you will get a very nice package. We'll see how it will
perform
in reality, but I am sure it will do quite nicely. Pentax wouldn't have
used a 22 bits A/D if there wasn't a good reason.

Antti-Pekka

Antti-Pekka Virjonen

Computec Oy
R&D Turku