Still trying to turn things around. The sensor is simply a photocell.
The brighter the light hitting it the higher the voltage output.
Visualize analog as curves, digital as steps. Don't get them crossed in
your mind if you want to understand what is going on. All the talk about
sensors like they are photon counters is pretty counter-productive also,
as they definitely are not. It is not like they have a capacity of x
photons, but that at a certain point the out put voltage cannot go any
higher even if the light is brighter. If you have ever used an old
fashioned light meter with a swinging needle, think of a sensor as an
super tiny array of them. The ADC converts the voltage into a digital
signal with the voltage as a binary number. At this point we are still
dealing with the output of a single pixel, the next step is integrating
all those signals that is where it gets complicated.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com