Can you provide a reference on that? A quick goggle search* finds
nothing the contradicts my explanation. Your comment may be accurate on
the quantum level but I do not think we can quite apply it to current
image sensors, but would be interested in seeing something about where
you are getting that from. Photons, like all quantum particles, are very
slippery critters and probably act that way, but I do not know of any
photo diode that gives out a quantized signal --in a macro world sense.
  I admit my physics knowledge is not as up to date as it could be. But
I do believe folks are trying to digitalize non-digital phenomena, if
the information was digital we would not need an ADC.

*Unfortunately, the liberal arts university here in Boone does not have
much in the way of science texts in its library (singular). Sigh, I do
miss having the U of M libraries at my fingertips, so to speak.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com