On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 05:45:09PM -0400, graywolf wrote:
> Can you provide a reference on that? A quick goggle search* finds
> nothing the contradicts my explanation. Your comment may be accurate on
> the quantum level but I do not think we can quite apply it to current
> image sensors, but would be interested in seeing something about where
> you are getting that from. Photons, like all quantum particles, are very
> slippery critters and probably act that way, but I do not know of any
> photo diode that gives out a quantized signal --in a macro world sense.

The point is that you're not in a macro world.  The change in voltage level
that would be indicated by the smallest possible change in a 22-bit number
is well below the change in voltage that would be caused by the presence of
just one additional electron in the sensor site (by a couple of orders of
magnitude).  You're trying to measure an "analog" quantity to a precision
that puts you firmly in the quantum domain.