I thought I'd relay this story to you all.

Back in July I was looking for a long lens for the 67
since the longest lens in my bag was the 165mm f4 LS.
I was thinking about buying a new 300mm and a
teleconverter (from the results posted on Luminous
Landscape this seemed like a good option) but I saw a
used 400mm ED on Ebay at a good price and jumped at it
with the Buy It Now option. The description said the
lens was well used but "optically perfect."

So, the lens arrived about a week later and boy was I
not happy. The lens was shipped in its dedicated trunk
case but in a box with packing peanuts and
miscellaneous scraps of styrofoam. The trunk was not
packed snuggly and it shifted around inside the box.
When I took the lens out of the truck case to inspect
it I had it tilted slightly on end and my heart sank
when I heard a loud "thud" from inside the lens. Yep,
the IF helicoid was stripped and was just sliding back
and forth. And that wasn't the worst of it. Upon
looking into the lens from the front element I could
see that one of the internal elements was scratched at
the edge, a fairly large scratch, maybe 4-6mm long. I
was wondering if there was a screw loose inside that
caused it but I never saw or heard one.

So, I contacted the seller and explained my dismay and
told him that he needed to claim it (yes, I insisted
on insurance) and that even though the box had no
obvious damage it should've been more carefully packed
(the box wasn't even marked 'fragile'). I told him
that even if the focus was operable I would insist on
a refund since there was no way I was buying a lens
with a scratched element, especially one described as
"optically perfect." After a few terse emails the
seller told me that the claim was going through and
that UPS would be by to pick up the lens for
inspection.

In the end, UPS decided to pay to have the lens
repaired at Pentax in Colorado. I told the seller to
have them fix everything, including replacing the bad
element, and I'd be happy to have it. Suprisingly, I
got the lens today, over two months later from the
close of the auction, packaged nearly the same way as
before, but this time in good shape, no focusing
issues, no scratched element and freshly aligned and
CLA'd from our friends in Golden, Colorado. Even so,
when I went to fit the lens on the camera, well to be
honest, with this lens you fit the camera to the lens,
it wouldn't present flush. I tried it again and still
no luck. When I examined the lens mount In noticed
that one of the six screws holding the mount to the
lens hadn't been fully tightened and was proud of the
surface. I tightened it down and then mounted the
camera with no trouble. Finally, being a cautious guy,
I checked the focus scale against a tape and it
matched almost exactly.

In eight years as a seller and buyer on eBay this was
first time I had a major issue with a seller. I
suppose I should count myself very lucky in that I was
dealing with a seller who was committed to making the
transaction work one way or the other. But, then,
before I bid I did what I always do which is check his
feedback rating, read a few comments (especially the
negative ones, if there are any) and look at the
seller's eBay store if they have one. In this case,
the guy was camera retailer from Florida with a good
rating so the purchase seemed very safe. In the end,
I'm happy with result but wondering if I'll be buying
gear like this off eBay in the future.

-Brendan