I really like the AlienBees.  I have three and am looking at getting a
fourth to round things out.  You can buy a complete kit from them -
lights, umbrellas, stands, etc.  The built-in modeling lights give you
an advantage over just using a remote shoe-mount flash.  They're
continuously adjustable in output rather than incremental and have
built-in slaves so you only need to run a pc cord to the closest one.
Their customer service is great and if you enroll in some kind of credit
class at a local post-secondary school, send them a copy of your student
ID and you get a 10% discount.

-P