I bought a LaCie 20GB USB 2.0 portable hard drive that fits in my pocket.
At the time it cost about $129.00.  Today one can get a 40GB drive, that's
the same size, but faster, for $79.00.  There are, of course, other options
that may even be a better value.  The little pocket drive allowed the xfer
of files form one machine to another to take place easily and quickly.  And
it has the advantage of being a go anywhere unit, allowing for the
portability of a great may files, so I can work on pics on a friend's
computer, swap files, bring files to the lab, and so on, with ease.

However, I mostly use it as an "attic" or storage room, keeping odds and
ends on it, like recipes, joke files, funny pics, personal correspondence -
anything I don't really need but want to hold on to.  These little drives
are cool, come in much larger capacities, and are relatively inexpensive.
They're not in the same league as the big, fast backup drives, but they are
a lot more portable.  La Cie always has something interesting on their web
site.

Shel