I have to agree with Shel's experience w/Earthlink.  We've had high
speed Earthlink w/Time-Warner for the past 5-6 years and never had a
glitch.  Their customer service has always been satisfactory and pricing
in line with others.  Even the Time-Warner techs with whom I've had
experience have been competent - much unlike the guy you had to deal
with.  The first thing he should have done is install an ethernet card
and not fool with USB.

-P