----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom C"
Subject: Re: Interview w/Pentax exec

> >Interesting question.
>>from BH Photo:
>>Canon 300/2.8 IS    US$3900 (in stock)
>>Pentax FA 300/2.8 non-is   $US4550 (accepting orders)
>>

> Don't let the cat out of the bag now,

Some time ago (probably close to 15 years), a friend was looking to get
an 80-200/2.8 lens. He was a long time Pentax user, but he found when
pricing things out that he could get a Nikon 80-200/2.8 for about
$700.00 less than the equivalent Pentax lens.
Based on that one price disparity, he is now a Nikon user.
I suspect that there is an economy of scale at work with the higher end
glass. Canon sells more 300/2.8s and so can sell them individually for
less money.
They may also have the resources to subsidize the higher end stuff from
sales of lower end equipment, not that I would suggest for a moment that
this is what they do.

William Robb