You really need to have an incident meter. This measures the light
that's falling on the subject, and in general gives you the most
accurate reading. However, many people who do their own processing and
printing and use the zone system like to use a spotmeter. I would
recommend a combined meter, which will also include wide-area
reflected metering.

Metering is generally pretty simple and lacking in mystery - most
basic photography books explain it adequately.

--
Cheers,
 Bob