Adam Maas wrote:

>Gonz wrote:

>> You dont think they get more than $50 profit per camera?
>
>Yes and No. certainly not on the K100D/K110D (where the likely profit
is
>quite low to keep the pricepoint down). Possibly on the K10D, but I'd
>suspect the profit is around that across Pentax and the retailer.
>Certainly on a flagship body.

Good lord, when I said that I expected people to start arguing the
numbers I thought that simply saying so would emphasize its futility
and pre-empt this kind of mathematical nit-picking!

For the record, I expect that Pentax probably would have a profit of
more than $50.00 on a high-end body (but not, as Adam says, on a
low-end body). But I also think that they'd have a production run of
more than 10,000 units total, that the cost per unit would be more than
$5.00 and that the number of additional sales they'd get would be
*well* under 1000 units.

But my (and everyone else here) estimates are pointless: Pentax
*themselves* know the the first three numbers with great precision and
the final one they can estimate with much greater accuracy than we can
do here.

They know the numbers, they've done the math and they've come up with
an answer that they are confident in.