If it's not Jar-Jar it will be some other lame character....

Christian Skofteland

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Mann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 4:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Slides vs digital

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Even if the digital images are transferred to film, if the resulting color
> saturation and contrast looks like film, then the digital image must have
> been that good in the first place for film to capture it.

 Of course it was.  A computer-rendered digital original is as good as
you'll get
provided you've put enough information into it.  The limitations we see are
the
results of not enough raw information (resolution, bit-depth), and
converting
between the analogue & digital domains at the image capture and output
stages.

> Furthermore, all-digital projection *is* coming. The most recent Star Wars
> movie was shot directly onto computer, then edited and assembled and put
> onto film for distribution. But a few places (with high-dollar equipment)
> displayed it digitally, so what the viewers saw at the theatre were images
> that had never been on film at all anywhere in the process.

 I've heard that Lucas wasn't all that impressed with the cameras he used
but
they did save big bucks on film stock.  Digtal theatre projection systems
are
definitely a good thing because they'll be a major improvement over the
multi-
generation prints we see at the moment.  To compare film and digital for
their
ability to produce pure picture quality you should be looking at the master
print.

 I just hope he didn't bring Jar Jar back.

> There's a lot more of this kind of thing coming...

 I hope so.  The theatres down here suck.

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)
http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,
 while children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield