I think that there may be some confusion here. May I add to it?

>>And before any one argues the whole videotape vs. film issue let me say
>that
>>video has replaced film in consumer markets but not in the motion picture
>>and documentary industry.
>
>And that's one replacement that I can guarantee never *will* happen: the
>motion picture and documentary makers will skip right over videotape and
>go to digital when it's cost effective (a few more years).

Motion picure makers will have to output their productions onto film for
a while to come: the images have to be projected onto a screen, using
traditional projectors. That is, until LCD or LEP (Light Emitting
Plastics) etc etc technology becomes good enough and cheap enough to use
in every cinema on the planet. Also, note that any film with sequences -
or indeed their entire content - created digitally (Toy Story, Final
Fantasy, Godzilla etc) has had to be transferred to film in order to be
shown in cinemas. I'm afraid the digital revolution, far from making an
inroads into feature film, has not only taken a foothold, but less and
less is being shot traditionally.

As for broadcast television, there is very little film shot these days.
Only productions that demand the lightest possible weight, the most
robust, and user-serviceable-in-the-field equipment shoot film. Up
Everest, the Amazon, those hard-to-get places - or, because the director
wants real film. Or commercials.

As for shooting digital, I'm afraid you're in for a surprise. Currently,
shooting digital broadcast tv still involves videotape. The difference
over old analogue tape is this: the images and sound are recorded
digitally, and so picture degredation is minimized, and generation-loss
is non-existant. The medium is still tape because it's the most
cost-effective *at the moment*. This will change over the next decade or
two. Solid state recording (effectively recording straight onto mini hard
disks) will be next, and hardware already exists, but like all
industries, it's expensive to re-equip everyone in your company at the
drop of a hat. It costs millions to buy new kit (not simply buying just
cameras either - all the editing, image manipulation, image management
gizmos - the list is endless). As a rule, if a tv company invests in a
technology, it's good for ten years. Our newsgathering operation 'went
digital' about 12 months ago...

To come back on topic, I think the advent of the so-called digital
revolution regarding consumer cameras has plenty of mileage left in it
before that revolution becomes the norm. The plain fact is that most
people will still use film because it's what they know, what they feel
safe with. As a new generation grows up with digital imaging, that's
where I think we'll see it become the norm.

One PDML contributor hit the nail on the head when he or she said that if
Pentax came up with a no-frills 3 or 4 MP digital K mount SLR for a grand
(bucks) or so, they'd sell bucketloads and instantly become a hit. That's
right, but I don't think it will happen within 5 years, because Pentax
and others have plenty of interest in selling either dead-end P and S
digitals, or high-end Nikon-style D1Xs. Look at the Canon digital -
that's not unreasonably priced, but it's not exactly selling like
pancakes? Because it's not *quite* there. 2/3 CCD or whatever, not
*quite* affordable enough, nope, most Canon shooters will stick with
Rebels or EOSs etc.

When Pentax does eventually release the MZ-D (or whatever) we will
salivate and plan, but the price will be gut-wrenching. And instead of
selling a hundred a day, they will sell only a hundred a month. And that
will suit Pentax just fine - there's big danger in high-volume output in
consumer items like cameras.

Well, I'm starting to lose the plot now - the Fullers London Pride has
finally conquered me and it's time for bed. Hope I haven't bored you to
death. I'm going to shoot a pretty girl tomorrow with my LX and 85mil, so
I'm as happy as a pig in the shhhhh....mustn't wake the lad, it's his
first day back at school tomorrow...

A good evening to you wherever you are on the Earth.

Cotty

*-)