From: Adam Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Pentax Japan delays K10D release date
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:06:46 -0400

I suspect they had sales forecasted already, based on dealer commitments
and monitoring lists and forums.

I don't think they realized exactly how popular the K10D would be, and
how badly it would overmatch the competition (as it is, only the D80 is
in shouting distance for features, and the K10D's SR, anti-dust, weather
sealing and larger buffer handily overmatch the D80's ISO 3200 and
superior flash capabilities for most users).

-Adam

Tom C wrote:
 > Announcing the shipping date before they knew how many cameras 'they
would
 > have to make' was sort of a little mistake.
 >
 > So what do they decide to do?  They decide to make EVERYBODY wait.  I'm
not
 > sure that's a good decision or a bad one, or if it matters.
 >

 > Tom C.

The
 > above change has been made in order to secure the adequate shipping
 > quantity.
 >
 > We are sorry for any inconvenience incurred by our customers and other
 > concerned parties, but would very much appreciate your understanding]
 >

 > In relation to above, I noticed a couple of things in Japanese posts.
 > Above is probably true as what they are doing is to stock up as much
initial
 > shipping quantity as possible in order to secure the uninterrupted and
 > smooth supply flow.  It was saying that the initial shipping has long
been
 > sold out and you cannot even get a definitive delivery date from the
major
 > camera chains if you order now.  Probably the same overseas.  So, Pentax
are
 > doing the right thing to delay the shipping date rather than being
inundated
 > by angry and inpatient customers.
 >
 > Other thing is that they of course are still making the final tweaking of
 > various details although it may not be a delaying factor.  Somebody
reported
 > that he frequently visited the Pentax showroom where he could handle the
 > K10D.  Every time he visited there, the AF speed has been noticeably
faster.
 > Pentax man there told him that the firmware is almost done.
 >
 > Re the marketing in Japan first, I do not know if it's totally true.
Some