True, but some customers are more more desirable than others.

If you were selling a product that supported legacy as well as the new
accessories (read lenses) which customer would you prefer:

Customer type 1)
Slaps down their credit card and buys a $900 camera body that works
perfectly with there collection of 30 year old lenses, and who has no
intention of ever buying a new lens

or...

Customer type 2)
Slaps down their credit card and buys a $900 camera body & $390 DA
16-45mm f4. And who at some stage may pick up a $200 FA 50mm f1.4,
$540 DA 70mm f2.4 Ltd, $675 FA 77mm f1.8 Ltd., $880 FA 31mm f1.8
Ltd.....

Pentax certainly aren't going to make as much profit from customer
type 1. Pentax have clearly indicated which customer they desire most.

Now in all honesty John, if you were in the business of manufacturing
& selling cameras & associated equipment which customer would you
prefer?

Dave