Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2006, at 11:35 PM, Gabriel Cain wrote:
>
>> What I'm stating is more of a wistful desire of something in the exact
>> form-factor of the K1000 that happens to record to digital instead
>> of film.
>>   I know it won't happen (unless I do it myself by modding one, but
>> I don't
>> have the knowledge or sufficient motivation to persue it.)
>
> Likely not particularly doable without a LOT of engineering work. All
> the electronics have to be worked to fit the space and there's
> precious little space in the K1000 body shell for all of them and a
> decent battery and a storage card cage, etc.

Doable, definitely. A K1000 is distinctly bigger than a RD-1. But I'd
expect an RD-1 pricetag, unless one of the big makers did it.

>> Still, it's a pleasant thought.   I really like the feel of it.
>
> I'd like a Nikon FM-D body myself, but that's because I always loved
> the feel of the Nikons, even moreso than the Pentax MX which is its
> closest comparable model. The K1000 always felt a little crude to my
> hands. but I know what you mean.
>
> Godfrey

I'd agree on the FM-D, even better would be a FM2-D, with the FM2's
slightly larger size and better finder.

I'd seriously consider paying $1500-2000 for an FM-D. 6MP would be fine,
SD preferred, RAW only, don't even need an LCD, if I could adjust the
settings manually (ISO on the shutter speed dial, small LCD for
battery/frames like the M8). Or just go with a straight clone of the
M8's electronic interface. Do give a flip-up AI tab though, for pre-AI
glass.

DX format is fine, while I'd like FF, I don't see a real need to pay
extra for it, the cost/benefit ratio isn't there for me yet.

My one caveat is I want EN-EL3 batteries, and a 'MD-12' which holds 2 as
an option.