Stepping away from the baiting of the JCO entity for a moment.

---

On Oct 19, 2006, at 7:00 AM, William Robb wrote:

> ... They are both changes to the mount, done for purely economic
> reasons.
> Had Canon so desired, they could have left the register distance
> alone,
> and it should have allowed adapting FD lenses to EOS cameras,
> though the
> lenses themselves may have needed modification. ...

Canon increased the mount register to allow for a mirror that was a
few mm longer, useful to prevent the imaging cutoff that FD series
cameras had with long lenses. There was insufficient space in the FD
mirror box even with a cantilever mirror lifting linkage for the
required longer mirror. Increasing the register 2mm allowed for a 4mm
longer reflex mirror. The EOS mount has both more register and a
wider diameter to allow for the needs that Canon perceived as the
future requirements in fast, long lenses.

The people at Canon are not stupid. I am certain they debated these
changes for years knowing how it would affect their customers. But
they were up against the wall with the FD mount, it was hampering
both optical and mechanical design of the lens line.

Pentax changes to K-mount over the years have been less dramatic. The
register originally chosen and the diameter have been sufficient and
not a hindrance to optical development, like Nikon's bayonet mount as
well. The removal of mechanical couplings for aperture sensing is an
economic move as well as a functional improvement: electronic sensing
of aperture position is less likely to need adjustment and service,
and removing the aperture ring and follow cam mechanism from the lens
allows for simplification, more reliability, less service as well.

The addition of power couplings in KAF2 allows for the possibility of
removing the mechanical iris actuation as well: future lenses could
be completely servo driven internally with the electronic couplings
for iris actuation, dispensing with the ambiguities involved in the
current aperture regulation mechanism ... this is what I would expect
with the next set of upgrades to the Pentax K-mount. The obvious
reasons why they have not yet gone this step are backwards
compatibility and cost ... it keeps the price of the lenses down to
have the mechanical actuator, prevents having two different actuation
mechanisms to support, and it gives them the backwards compatibility
that Pentax customers want.

---

Please do go on now. ;-)

Godfrey