On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:27 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> But Bob, the compressed size is not the actual file size, it's
> essentially
> just the size of the package into which the file itself has been
> placed and
> stored.  I have a very large down comforter that is placed in a
> storage bag
> during the summer months.  This compresses the comforter and allows
> for
> easier, more convenient storage.  However, when the comforter is
> removed
> from the storage bag it returns to it's original large size.  If
> someone
> asks me the size of the comforter I give them the actual
> dimensions, not
> the compressed size that's in the storage bag.
>
> I heartily agree with Paul ... your common sense seems to have
> caused a
> gross misunderstanding in this thread, and you are mistaken about what
> constitutes the actual file size.

OK.  So what's the actual file size of one of my Genuine Fractals
files?  I know how much space the file takes up on my hard drive.
But when I open one of these files I get a dialog window asking me
what size I want to open it to.  If I choose to open it as a 22 MB
file or if I choose to open it as a 550mMB file, which is the "real"
file size?  The answer, of course, is neither.  The actual file size
is how much space the file occupies on my hard drive.

Bob