Previously written by Shel -

>I knew a > number of people in the automotive business many years back, and
>they'd
> watch every penny, literally. One cent spread over the cost of more than a
> million units adds up quickly enough.  Listening to these guys discuss
> costs was an amazing experience.  One conversation centered about spacing
> bolt holes on a panel to see if they could get by with four instead of
> five
> bolts.  Not only did they consider the cost of the additional bolt (which
> seemed trivial until one multiplied by the estimated number of units
> needed), but they factored in the time to install that one bolt during
> manufacture, and the cost of adding the fifth hole.

To which I'll add -
Shel I was a design engineer (also held most other engineering
positions -development, durability etc.) at one of the Big 3 for many years.
I can vouch for what you've stated.
During my design career, I did work on the F-series of trucks, mainly in the
steering/suspension & brake systems area - with volumes in the millions - a
penny saved was a serious cost save on those kinds of volumes. We also
figured other issues into the cost save equations - like complexity - if we
could eliminate a part from the assembly plant it was equated into a cost
savings due to the lack of handling, storage, procuring etc. Process
assembly engineers also considered the cost savings of having
minimizing/reducing assembly costs.

Kenneth Waller