Just tagging into the thread here with a couple of comments.

First camera was a 620 Kodak Brownie.  Birthday present from the
parents.  When I showed some interest my father let me use his Argus
C3.  My next camera was a screw mount Spotmatic that I used until just
a few years ago.

When the kids were younger I kept them supplied with
single-use/disposables.  As they've grown and the world transitioned
to digital I've supplied them all with a decent digital point and
shoot.  None of them, boys or girls, want to carry an SLR. They are
more interested in getting photos than the equipment.

On the other subject, I've mentioned before that, by a large margin,
more women than men sign up for my photo classes.  Overall, there are
more point and shooters, but the trend is to a much larger percentage
of SLRs.

See you later, gs
<http://georgesphotos.net>