What bag are you using?  With the Domke 803 I only run into height problems
when using longer lenses, especially with hoods on them..  But, if as you
say, the 77mm is the longest you use, with a bag such as the Domke I can't
think of any combination that would be too long.  Your point about
"juggling" has, for me at least, not been an issue, but I can see how under
certain circumstance, it might be.

When experimenting with glues and designs, I found that sanding the ends of
the caps helped produce a stronger join.  I use one of those glues that
come in two attached tubes that get mixed just before application.  I also
use a Handi-Clamp to solidly hold the two caps together while the glue is
drying.  I got my clamp at a local Ace Hardware store, but an almost
identical one (save for color, it seems) can be had through Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/yn6htk
http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-59200CD-Quick-Grip-2-Handi-Clamp/dp/B000051WSG

I mention all this, not just for you, but for others reading the thread who
may find the information useful.

Shel