On Oct 26, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Timothy Sherburne wrote:

> I need a reasonably powerful flash to pair with my *ist DS for
> shooting
> an event at my daughter's school, and a friend has been kind enough to
> loan me his Metz 32CT4. He mentioned the possibility of a dedicated
> module for Pentax, but the research I've done indicates that this
> works
> only with the LX. (My thinking is that there is some trigger voltage
> issues here.)

I'm not familiar enough with the Metz line but my understanding is
that they have a Pentax-dedicated TTL (SCA 3702 M) module that will
work with the *ist DS bodies but the listing does not include your
Metz 32CT4 unit. This might be simply because the 32CT4 is out of
production, but I can't say. You might try contacting them to see if
it is compatible.

> My backup plan is to order a Sigma ST500 and be done with it.

For full support of the *ist DS, you want the Sigma EF 500 DG Super
model.

Personally, I use a non-dedicated Sunpak 383 flash unit. It's in-
flash metering has proven good enough for my needs so far. If/when I
want a Pentax-dedicated auto-flash, I'll likely just buy the Pentax
AF540FGZ.

Godfrey