Thanks for the info, Godfrey. See comments below.

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Timothy Sherburne wrote:
>
>> I need a reasonably powerful flash to pair with my *ist DS for
>> shooting
>> an event at my daughter's school, and a friend has been kind enough to
>> loan me his Metz 32CT4. He mentioned the possibility of a dedicated
>> module for Pentax, but the research I've done indicates that this
>> works
>> only with the LX. (My thinking is that there is some trigger voltage
>> issues here.)
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the Metz line but my understanding is
> that they have a Pentax-dedicated TTL (SCA 3702 M) module that will
> work with the *ist DS bodies but the listing does not include your
> Metz 32CT4 unit. This might be simply because the 32CT4 is out of
> production, but I can't say. You might try contacting them to see if
> it is compatible.

Yes, I dug through the Metz website this morning and found a PDF that
describes camera body compatibility with legacy flashes. The DS and
32CT4 are listed, and the SCA3702 and SCA3000C are needed to make them
work together.

<http://www.metz.de/downloadFile.php?type=adapterarchiv&lang=en>

However, the pair runs $150 at B&H, and they note that the SCA3702 is
specifically not compatible with the DS. I trust the word of the
manufacturer over the distributor, but those prices? Yuck.

>> My backup plan is to order a Sigma ST500 and be done with it.
>
> For full support of the *ist DS, you want the Sigma EF 500 DG Super
> model.

Right. I meant to type "Sigma EF500 ST". The extra features of the Super
would be nice (wireless, trailing curtain, high-speed sync), but I don't
use a flash enough to spend the extra $80. I'm spending that on a K10D
instead. :)