It makes them separate clauses. If it said, renewed for five years or
... it would make it a choice. As it reads it can only be ended after
each five year period if a one year notice is given. A clearer way of
saying it would have been, "Will be automatically renewed for another
five year period unless a written notice of non-renewal is given at
least one year prior to end of the current contract." And we complain
about $100 eBay communication problems <grin>....

Do not feel bad about your understanding of this, commas are used for
many things in English, it is sometimes hard for even an English scholar
to figure out just exactly how to use them. Sometimes, as in that
contract, they are critically important, at others they are optional. A
lot of people think you just use them where you would pause for a breath
in speaking. However, that, is, not, a, good, rule, to, go, by, said Tom
pantingly.

-graywolf