On Nov 1, 2006, at 1:29 PM, Jens Bladt wrote:

> I just got myself af Rollei XF 35 off ebay. F. 1:2.3 40mm Sonnar lens.
> A nice 35 mm rangefinder with program automatics (CdS). It is
> supposed to
> replace my Minox GL as my "immer dabei" camera (pardon my German)!
> Film is better than digital for this purpose, because the battery
> consumption is judt a fraction (PX625) of a modern, digital camera
> - and
> film is available almost anywhere. This means it's alwasy ready!
>
> This way I always have a quality camera within reach!
>
> Has  anyone used this small, old Rollei?

Yes, Rolleis were a specialty of mine for years.

The Rollei XF 35 is documented in Arthur Evans' "Collectors Guide to
Rollei Cameras" and in Klaus Prochnow's "Technical Reports".
Production dates were 1975 to 1980.

Unfortunately, the XF 35 does not have the best lens (a Rollei Sonnar
40mm f/2.3, designed by Zeiss but assembled by Rollei Singapore). It
was a somewhat undistinguished, compact 35mm rangefinder camera,
having none of the brilliance or quirkiness of the original Rollei 35
and later Rollei 35S. I believe (although I'm not sure of this) that
it was based on one of the designs that Rollei inherited when they
acquired someone else's designs (was it Voigtländer? I can't remember
off hand). The XF 35 can make reasonably good negatives when stopped
down, the problem is that there's no way to control exposure on the
camera other than by adjusting the ASA setting or switching it into
flash mode, which turns off all metering and nets you one shutter
speed and aperture control.

(Personally, I think your Minox 35GL is a better camera with a better
lens. I have a Minox 35GT-E that I am very loathe to part with, it
returns superb results.)

I don't know about your statement about the battery. The Rollei XF 35
takes a mercury-oxide PX625 battery, which are rapidly becoming
extinct worldwide. They last about a year in the camera (presuming
the camera is kept in a case or the meter circuit shut off to
minimize current draw) and then almost invariably begin to leak,
which often destroys the camera. Alkaline PX625s have a different
voltage curve which throws off the meter, and changes as the battery
ages. (The Rollei 35S uses this same battery; I have a little battery
sized voltage regulator that allows fitting a silver-oxide battery
instead to preserve meter accuracy, and silver oxide batteries don't
leak as often or as severely as mercury-oxides.)

Comparing the utility for "immer dabei" use to the Fuji F30 that is
my 'immer dabei' camera:
One charge on the Fuji's battery will run over 700 exposures. The
battery is a Lithium-Ion that will hold a charge for up to a year
with less than 15% self discharge. One 1G xD card will store up to
380 full-resolution JPEG photographs. I'll stick to the F30. ;-)

Godfrey