I suggest that folks read Effective Cycling by John Forester with a open
mind, then think critically about what he says because his information
is based upon the facts, not the feelings involved. Riding according to
his teachings I have never even had a near accident even when commuting
in big city rush hour traffic. The establishment disagrees with about
everything he says therein, but they have no facts to support their
disagreement, just feelings, very strong feelings... and a lot of ignorance.